We process all documents you need for your boat.

We help you carry out the different procedures you may need:



At this time of year many people take advantage of the good weather and the sun to sail and enjoy the relaxation and tranquility that the sea gives them for a few hours.

To make the journey as pleasant as possible, before setting sail, the skipper of the boat must not only review the weather and sea conditions, he must also check that he has on board all the documentation of the boat, since at any time the authorities may request it. If any document is missing, the fine can be very high. For identification purposes, the registration (folio) and the name of the vessel must be read clearly.

As for the documentation, these are the liscences and certificates that a pleasure boat should always carry on board:

  • Spanish Registration Certificate. It is the document that certifies that the ship is registered in the Register of Ship Registration.
  • Navigation Permission. It replaces the Navigation License and must be carried by all flagged vessels, even those without a professional crew.
  • Inscription certificate. It is issued by the Maritime Administration and accredits the registration of a boat in the special regime of pleasure boats with "CE" marking of length equal to or less than 12 meters.
  • Navigation certificate. This document, which must be in force at the time of the voyage, guarantees that it has passed the Technical Inspection of Ships (ITB) in a collaborating inspection entity (Royal Decree 1434/1999). You can consult the authorized list of collaborating entities on the website of the Ministry of Public Works.
  • Official qualification of the boat skipper. It must not be expired and must be adjusted to the type and area of ​​navigation (RD 875/2014).
  • Proof of payment of the compulsory liability insurance premium. All motor boats and non-motorized boats with a length of more than 6 meters must be insured. At Helvetia Seguros you can find the maximum protection for your boat and its crew with our pleasure boat insurance.
  • If you have a plate on the hull of the CE Mark (Royal Decree 2127/2004), you must carry on board the Declaration of Conformity and the Owner's Manual of the boat and engine.
  • Flag. It is the permit that authorizes a boat to fly in the national flag.
  • Registration or Registration Port. This document shows the ship of the Captaincy where the vessel is registered. The owner of the boat may choose the port of registry. There is a special regime for vessels smaller than 12 meters in length (inscription) and with the CE marking (both on the hull and propulsion engines) in which these vessels can be registered with the General Directorate of the Merchant Marine quickly. . However, boats that have been flagged with any standard in Spain or abroad or those with professional crews will not be able to register. These boats are only required to carry a "registration certificate" that enables them to navigate in the Spanish territorial sea with the limitations imposed by the category of boat design and skipper certification. The vessels that avail themselves of this special regime will not be registered, so loads can be noted, etc.
  • Registry. In the case of recreational boats, this document certifies that our boat is inscribed on the Seventh List, which shows that our boat is for the exclusive use of sport or non-profit recreation or non-professional fishing.
  • Crew members' personal documentation. It is advisable that all crew members carry their DNI on board or other identification documents. Although it is not usual, sometimes the Maritime Service of the Civil Guard can request some fiscal documentation as proof of having paid the VAT (Attention in second-hand boats) or the Registration Tax (Tax on certain means of transport), reason why it is convenient to take it on board.